Canadians can not register imported Karmas until airbag recall is completed... - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Default Canadians can not register imported Karmas until airbag recall is completed...

Just a FYI.........
A Canadian buyer of my Karma backed out of the deal because he would not be allowed to register the car until the airbag recall is completed.

If you have a Karma already in Canada, no problem, depending on the province they'll be happy to register it.

But if you are importing the "Registrar of Imported Vehicles" will not sign off on the car, thus preventing the necessary paperwork needed by the province to register it.

The Registrar of Imported vehicles will let you bring the car into Canada and wait for the recall to be completed and then finish the process. But who wants a car they can't drive until some unknown date in the future?
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
But who wants a car they can't drive until some unknown date in the future?
Not exactly on point, but that pretty much describes the experience of all of the original Fisker Karma buyers who put down their deposits in 2008-2011.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)

Quote:
Just a FYI.........
A Canadian buyer of my Karma backed out of the deal because he would not be allowed to register the car until the airbag recall is completed.

If you have a Karma already in Canada, no problem, depending on the province they'll be happy to register it.

But if you are importing the "Registrar of Imported Vehicles" will not sign off on the car, thus preventing the necessary paperwork needed by the province to register it.

The Registrar of Imported vehicles will let you bring the car into Canada and wait for the recall to be completed and then finish the process. But who wants a car they can't drive until some unknown date in the future?

That is interesting, when you go onto the Karma recall website and enter your vin, it is showing that your vehicle is not subject to the airbag recall.

https://www.karmaautomotive.com/campaigns

I contacted Karma a few months back and asked them why I never received an airbag recall notice; they claimed that none of my cars had defective airbags and I was good to go. I entered the VINs on the website and they all showed as "No open campaigns." Perhaps, your vehicle does not have the defective airbag and is good to go?
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
That is interesting, when you go onto the Karma recall website and enter your vin, it is showing that your vehicle is not subject to the airbag recall.

I contacted Karma a few months back and asked them why I never received an airbag recall notice; they claimed that none of my cars had defective airbags and I was good to go. I entered the VINs on the website and they all showed as "No open campaigns." Perhaps, your vehicle does not have the defective airbag and is good to go?
Thanks for the tip PowerSource, I will check it out.
I did however get a letter in the mail from KA "Important Safety Recall" and will let me know when they have the new airbags in stock.

If I had a dollar for every woman that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me very attractive ;-)
Old 04-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the tip PowerSource, I will check it out.
I did however get a letter in the mail from KA "Important Safety Recall" and will let me know when they have the new airbags in stock.
See attached...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 4.46.49 PM.png (60.4 KB, 24 views)
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
See attached...
Thanks for that!
Maybe, just maybe, this will salvage the deal.

If I had a dollar for every woman that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me very attractive ;-)
Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)

Quote:

My car's VIN results in several pages of information, including the information included in the recall letter I received. Not sure why you are getting a different result. Can't imagine that Fisker used two different types of passenger airbags to build the first run of production cars.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default More info......

Quote:
See attached...
I just came across this.
Apparently only 811 Karma's were affected with the Takata airbag recall.

See attached from the NHTSA Website

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bOlU2g&cad=rja

Last edited by Special K; 04-17-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add link
Old 04-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
My car's VIN results in several pages of information, including the information included in the recall letter I received. Not sure why you are getting a different result. Can't imagine that Fisker used two different types of passenger airbags to build the first run of production cars.

Who really knows; but Louise Bristow in no unclear terms told me that my vins were not part of the recall. I checked a few vins from eBay, some show up as part of the recall others don't. Hopefully there is a method to the madness. YMMV

Quote:
I just came across this.
Apparently only 811 Karma's were affected with the Takata airbag recall.

See attached from the NHTSA Website

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bOlU2g&cad=rja
I think that number is for the ones registered in the states/regions as described. Since yours in Virginia, it probably wouldn't have been part of the first wave- if it had defective airbags.

Last edited by PowerSource; 04-17-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

@PowerSource - I think you're right, it seems to imply the cars that are in what is considered "Zone A" for Karmas in the Takata airbag recall process.

The report uses the term "...are or were registered in the following states...", so I am curious if the recall report used actual current registration data from each of those states with valid Fisker Karma VINs.