check engine - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Default check engine

All

Probably that this has been discussed....but does someone has a way to shut down the check engine light other to a soft or a hard reset? It cost me a 1000 $ to check everything....and everything is OK.

It's just a false alarm.....but it is bothering me.

Tks
hydroressources is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroressources View Post
All

Probably that this has been discussed....but does someone has a way to shut down the check engine light other to a soft or a hard reset? It cost me a 1000 $ to check everything....and everything is OK.

Tks
There are hliterally undreds of posts in multiple threads on this topic. Here is just one thread. If all you want to do is to turn the light off, you need an OBDII tool or scanner that plugs into a diagnostic port directly above the hood release handle and turn off the light. Bear in mind that doing this (i) deletes the diagnostic information, and (ii) does not prevent the light from coming back on if the underlying problem is not addressed.

You can buy an OBDII scanner from any automotive shop or online. Here is a thread about a couple of different ones. Depending on the features, they cost anywhere from $10 to $100 or more. Any of them should be able to turn off the light, and some of them offer additional features, like real time monitoring of the ICE (gas engine)'s parameters.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 04-12-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Fabulist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

$1k?!?! to reset a CEL....that's robbery and actually pretty sad that a shop would do that to you - I honestly hope they did a lot more than that, but even checking everything shouldn't have cost you more than 1hr of labor ($75-160).

You can go to your local Autozone parts store and they will let you borrow one of their scanners or check/clear your code(s) for free.

As Fab says above OBD scanners are cheap ~$7 for the bluetooth versions with phone app.
sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrillt View Post
$1k?!?! to reset a CEL....that's robbery and actually pretty sad that a shop would do that to you - I honestly hope they did a lot more than that, but even checking everything shouldn't have cost you more than 1hr of labor ($75-160).
When I first read the post, I had the same reaction, but when I read it again, I realized that the $1K was for an overall inspection of the car, not for resetting the CEL/MIL. I thought the OP was saying that since his car was already fully inspected, there should be no reason for the MIL. Of course, I could be wrong, but that seems to make more sense than $1K for turning off the MIL.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fisker Miami

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)

Very confusing even $1000.00 to check out The car is way out of line . Since we can't predict what's going to fail I wouldn't charge more then $350.00 to check out as much as the car we can .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
There are hliterally undreds of posts in multiple threads on this topic. Here is just one thread. If all you want to do is to turn the light off, you need an OBDII tool or scanner that plugs into a diagnostic port directly above the hood release handle and turn off the light. Bear in mind that doing this (i) deletes the diagnostic information, and (ii) does not prevent the light from coming back on if the underlying problem is not addressed.

You can buy an OBDII scanner from any automotive shop or online. Here is a thread about a couple of different ones. Depending on the features, they cost anywhere from $10 to $100 or more. Any of them should be able to turn off the light, and some of them offer additional features, like real time monitoring of the ICE (gas engine)'s parameters.

Awesome. Tks for the reference.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ira

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage

Generally speaking, an OBDII scanner will erase underlying trouble codes. However, there are some permanent codes that cannot be erased, even at a CSP. Pat's Garage has had this happen with more than one customer.

I wonder if Adam or Joe has also experienced this.
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroressources View Post
All

Tks

In which Software version is your Karma?
Since BL535 I haven't seen a single CEL.
Maybe this is a way to go?
Owner of a 2012 Ecosport Shadow, Black Sand Monotone, #730
German Community http://www.karma-forum.de/
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
In which Software version is your Karma?
Since BL535 I haven't seen a single CEL.
Maybe this is a way to go?
I should have the 535, but since my last visit to the dealer, I feel some differences. When I came to the dealer last time for this check engine problem, they tried many things and since then, the way the software handle power and battery has changed. So I am suspecting he downgraded to 525 or 530.

Before, my car was charging the battery up to 43km while driving, and then, the engine was getting slower to keep battery charge to 43km. Now it is just keeping the power at 0 if I am at 0. How should it be with the 535 ? Any ways to verify the version ?

Tks
Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
When I first read the post, I had the same reaction, but when I read it again, I realized that the $1K was for an overall inspection of the car, not for resetting the CEL/MIL. I thought the OP was saying that since his car was already fully inspected, there should be no reason for the MIL. Of course, I could be wrong, but that seems to make more sense than $1K for turning off the MIL.
You got it...it was for inspection. Then I purchased an ODBII scanner yesterday and removed the light. What a pleasure to see the speed control again.

Tks