Charger dead - need new one - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Charger dead - need new one

It appears that my Karma's charger is dead. When plugged in, the lights don't come on, the button does nothing. It was charging the car and just stopped working.

Has anyone had this happen before? Where do I get a new one?
2012 Chevrolet Volt
Charged in The OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged in The OC View Post
It appears that my Karma's charger is dead. When plugged in, the lights don't come on, the button does nothing. It was charging the car and just stopped working.

Has anyone had this happen before? Where do I get a new one?
If you are talking about the portable charger that comes with the car, they tend to have a relatively high failure rate. The good news is that you don't have to buy a Fisker branded portable charger. Any J1772 Level - 1 or Level 1 & 2 charger will work with the Karma. Clippercreek seems to be a popular brand among Fisker owners, but you can use any brand as long as it supports the J1772 standard.

If you absolutely have to have the Fisker branded one because you want to keep your car original, you could probably buy one from the company. I think they use the same one for the Revero.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
If you are talking about the portable charger that comes with the car, they tend to have a relatively high failure rate. The good news is that you don't have to buy a Fisker branded portable charger. Any J1772 Level - 1 or Level 1 & 2 charger will work with the Karma. Clippercreek seems to be a popular brand among Fisker owners, but you can use any brand as long as it supports the J1772 standard.

If you absolutely have to have the Fisker branded one because you want to keep your car original, you could probably buy one from the company. I think they use the same one for the Revero.
Yes I am talking about the portable charger that came with the car. Interesting that they have had a high failure rate. The one on my Volt stopped working as well. Thanks for the help!
2012 Chevrolet Volt

Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Quote:
Yes I am talking about the portable charger that came with the car. Interesting that they have had a high failure rate. The one on my Volt stopped working as well. Thanks for the help!
The Karma brick draws 12A and takes about 12 hours to fully charge the car. That's a lot of power going through a relatively small device, and they are often exposed to water when they are used outdoors. Unless they are very well made, they succumb to the working conditions. Fortunately, there are a lot of options available these days, and you don't have to get one from Fisker. You can even get a dual voltage one like this one that you can use for Level I and Level II charging (using a dryer plug) for both your Volt and your Karma.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had one that failed so I opened it up to find out what had happened. To my surprise, the incoming wiring had literally melted. The control board, although scorched around the connection, was fine. I replaced the incoming cord with a heavy 10ga extension cord that I cut the end off and then soldered it in. It works great, but it was really just an experiment. I had already purchased a new one, so now this one sits in a drawer as a back up.
PNWkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)

the lear wall charger uses the same board as the high failure rate portable charger. Scam regardless, would get a high quality clipper creek or other EVSE vs Lear PS... Lear also made the problematic body controller and key fob that throws several errors. Poetic Justice
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Been using AV,s 240V Turbocord ,see Fabulist above, for about 13 mo. 0-50 Chrg about 5 hrs. Typically only put 15 to 25 mi on a day and plug it in when I get home. Use Sta-Bil as last time I refueled was July 16'. Size is very convenient and easy to use. Has many cycles on it as plugged in & charging daily and shows no wear or breakdown. They even offer a two in one unit of same basic size tho I would use my 110V if on the road and unable 220. YMMV. SS
ss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss89 View Post
Been using AV,s 240V Turbocord ,see Fabulist above, for about 13 mo. 0-50 Chrg about 5 hrs. Typically only put 15 to 25 mi on a day and plug it in when I get home. Use Sta-Bil as last time I refueled was July 16'. Size is very convenient and easy to use. Has many cycles on it as plugged in & charging daily and shows no wear or breakdown. They even offer a two in one unit of same basic size tho I would use my 110V if on the road and unable 220. YMMV. SS
I just ordered the Clippercreek LCS-20 model which is what they recommend for a Fisker. I'll let you all know how it works. I too use the 110v portable charger every day. Probably why the OEM one wore out.
2012 Chevrolet Volt
Old 03-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)

Quote:
I just ordered the Clippercreek LCS-20 model which is what they recommend for a Fisker. I'll let you all know how it works. I too use the 110v portable charger every day. Probably why the OEM one wore out.
CLipper creeks are good quality EVSE's I have one from 2009 that I still use everyday. I have a box full of the Lear's (probably 7-8 of them) that are pure junk.
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote