AC or DC - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2017, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Default AC or DC

I couldn't find the answer to a question that came up today from someone who oggled my Karma. Are our electric motors DC or AC like Teslas?

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrowell View Post
I couldn't find the answer to a question that came up today from someone who oggled my Karma. Are our electric motors DC or AC like Teslas?
I don't think any EV manufacturer uses DC motors. Our cars use AC Permanent Magnet motors. Tesla uses AC Induction Motors.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you - so I assume that would mean over time the permanent magnets could weaken, whereas the Tesla battery would not. I wonder what the life of our magnets are?

Forever!

Old 02-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fisker Miami

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)

Quote:
Thank you - so I assume that would mean over time the permanent magnets could weaken, whereas the Tesla battery would not. I wonder what the life of our magnets are?
Magnets are your least of the problems when it comes to the traction motors
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
AFAIK, absent abuse or extreme heat, the magnets used in electric motors retain their power, well, permanently. I don't think this is an issue you need to be concerned about.

"Tesla battery?" I assume you meant the Tesla Motor. Again, the choice between Induction and Permanent magnet motors is driven by a number of factors and they each have their positive and negative points. I don't think magnet longevity really factored into the decision.

Here is an article that compares the various electric motor designs. It may be bit too detailed for casual interest, but I thought you may find it interesting. Specifically, this quote is very relevant to this thread (Note, the Tesla mentioned in the quote is a unit of measure of magnetic density, not the car):

Quote:
The magnets in permanent-magnet motors

Rare-earth elements are those 30 metals found in the periodic table’s oft-omitted long center two rows; they’re used in many modern applications. Magnets made of rare-earth metals are particularly powerful alloys with crystalline structures that have high magnetic anistropy — which means that they readily align in one direction, and resist it in others.

Discovered in the 1940s and identified in 1966, rare-earth magnets are one-third to two times more powerful than traditional ferrite magnets — generating fields up to 1.4 Teslas in some cases.

Permanent magnets are used in MRI machines, portable electronic devices, hysteresis clutches, accelerometers, and — last but not least —permanent-magnet rotary and linear motors.
Hope this helps.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great that does help - very interesting!

Yes, I didn't mean "battery" - apologies.

Forever!
Old 02-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)

Something that may be worthwhile mentioning is that the Fisker Karma motors are synchronous and thus require DC excitation so they are not really a pure AC motor in that they require a DC source to initialize rotation. These aren't pure AC PM motors from that perspective.
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
Something that may be worthwhile mentioning is that the Fisker Karma motors are synchronous and thus require DC excitation so they are not really a pure AC motor in that they require a DC source to initialize rotation. These aren't pure AC PM motors from that perspective.
OK; so it's an AC motor but it needs a bit of DC fluffing to get going, and honestly, who doesn't?

Last edited by Fabulist; 02-18-2017 at 01:18 PM.