How to Remove metal pieces before and after solar roof? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Default How to Remove metal pieces before and after solar roof?

As noted long ago in another thread, the slim metal panels are not holding up well in Florida. I'm talking about the 5" strip of black metal that separates the windshield from the solar panel, and the second one separating the solar panel roof from the rear window.

The Revero will use glass, not metal, pieces to avoid a repeat of these problems, but that doesn't help the 2012's. NIN JA devised an excellent plan to wrap the entire thing with carbon fiber vynyl. I have a sheet of the stuff from way back when I'd planned to wrap the styrofoam behind the front grill, and this would be a far better use of it (also allows me to keep the "original parts" of my future collectible).

I'm sure Harleyguy could show me how to remove this at my next checkup, but I thought I'd post here so others could perform the same operation. If anyone has tried this, let me know!
Karma #328: Shadow on Monsoon Tri-tone
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
As noted long ago in another thread, the slim metal panels are not holding up well in Florida. I'm talking about the 5" strip of black metal that separates the windshield from the solar panel, and the second one separating the solar panel roof from the rear window.

The Revero will use glass, not metal, pieces to avoid a repeat of these problems, but that doesn't help the 2012's. NIN JA devised an excellent plan to wrap the entire thing with carbon fiber vynyl. I have a sheet of the stuff from way back when I'd planned to wrap the styrofoam behind the front grill, and this would be a far better use of it (also allows me to keep the "original parts" of my future collectible).

I'm sure Harleyguy could show me how to remove this at my next checkup, but I thought I'd post here so others could perform the same operation. If anyone has tried this, let me know!
between HArlyguy, Fiskerphilly or Powersoruce, I'm sure one of them will give you the skinny on how to remove that part.

BTW, loved the CIU and I sent a PM to HArleyguy on giving me pointers on how to load it on my FY2012. Great lunch and we had a blast with you and the the Mss - my tummy is still warm ;-)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post

It is glued on heat it up a bit to loosen the glue and it will come off
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fisker Miami

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin ja View Post
between HArlyguy, Fiskerphilly or Powersoruce, I'm sure one of them will give you the skinny on how to remove that part.

BTW, loved the CIU and I sent a PM to HArleyguy on giving me pointers on how to load it on my FY2012. Great lunch and we had a blast with you and the the Mss - my tummy is still warm ;-)
I never got a PM
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
It is glued on heat it up a bit to loosen the glue and it will come off
I don't doubt what you're saying, but it's hard to believe: the reason why it's damaged in the first place is from sitting in the sun, the thing has to be hotter than a hair dryer could ever get it already (and yet it doesn't fly off when you start driving). I'll post some pics if/when I try it.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage

Non sequitur, try this solution. Come back to Canada. It's not as hot in many ways :-)
fiskerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskerjim View Post
Non sequitur, try this solution. Come back to Canada. It's not as hot in many ways :-)
My parents (and my kids) would love that, but I can't afford the house costs up there! Also, I don't think I'd be driving the fisker on the 2cm sheet of solid ice that fell over Toronto this week - yikes!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
I never got a PM
hmm, i'll drop you a line to your email
Old 02-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)

The part you are referring to is called the roof bow, it is held on with a bonding adhesive. The proper way to remove it is to heat the edges of the roof bow and apply a peel force to the portions of the bow that were heated- then slowly pry the bow off the surface

Extended environmental heat exposure may weaken the bond, but there is usually no peel force applied after the adhesive is "weakened." Targeted heat at the edges of the roof bow plus a peel force (with a blunt edged pry tool) will remove this piece.

The discoloration/damage you are likely referring to, is due to UV exposure.
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Garage

Should we just wrap it and be proactive?
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote