Good Karma... Bad Karma - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default Good Karma... Bad Karma

or, there are still some Samaritans walking among us?

So I took my kids out today to give my wife a break. I took them for lunch to
Sonoma. Now that I got FINALLY my charge-point card I was exited to get the Karma charged while we had lunch at one of our fav italian.

Halfway through my Tortellini alla Pana I get a text from Charge-Point stating
I used 2.2 Kwh and that the car was unplugged. I was wondering why someone unplugged my Karma.

So we finished lunch, got a double-espresso to go and strolled back to the parking lot to find the scene described bellow.

A Nissan Leaf right next to me so close that I checked for impact or dents.
The Nissan blocked a handicap spot as well. I guess while you piss off a peer why not a handicapped person while at it.

Both cars unplugged....hmmmm

All mirrors on the Leaf "re-adjusted". The Charging hatch at the front wide open. The rear-windshield wipers... rearranged. And a note under the driver wiper saying something along the line:

"Don't you ever again dare unplugging another car while it's charging.
You Effing IDIOT!!!!"

You can't make this up!

My Car unharmed. Karma =1, Leaf =0

I figured, someone was watching the actions of the Leaf driver and decided
to stand up for the Karma.

Also Fabulist, I concur with one of your statements. Driving a Karma (I drive mine every day) makes you an Ambassador and kind of a Hero.

Just today, we had about 5 encounters of people telling us how beautiful the car is. Twice we got approached today by people telling me how exited they are to see one in real life. My 5y/o first words are always "it's ELECTRIC". Photos, letting people have a seat, answering questions. Every time they leave with a smile on their face.

GOOD KARMA.

Disclaimer, mine runs like a Swiss watch compared to my previous cars.

-Hans

2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tri-Tone Interior #0888
hansu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Great story.
AlJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)

@hansu1,

I am sure if the guy/gal driving the Leaf had worked harder and done better in life, they would have bought a Karma instead of a Leaf, but that's not your fault.

The other A-hole actio n that I have experienced recently is when EV drivers park in a charging spot without plugging in to save a few cents on the charging fees. This causes the charger to appear available on the Chargepoint app, even though it is occupied, leading to an EV wild goose chase.

Still, unplugging a car that is still charging is probably the biggest EV faux pas and the Leaf driver deserved the insult. You did not need to anything further. The Leaf driver's life is its own punishment

Nicely done as an ambassador.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 02-06-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2017, 03:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Do all of the chargers in your area have a charging status light or text?

Sometimes I would love to unplug a car after seeing it parking at the station for 5-8 hour... but without a status, I never do.

If there is a status, telling 'ready', I unplug it, but I always fear, that someone will steal the cord, which now is only plugged to the car, and I'd get the blame...
Owner of a 2012 Ecosport Shadow, Black Sand Monotone, #730
German Community http://www.karma-forum.de/
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Sometimes I would love to unplug a car after seeing it parking at the station for 5-8 hour... but without a status, I never do.

If there is a status, telling 'ready', I unplug it, but I always fear, that someone will steal the cord, which now is only plugged to the car, and I'd get the blame...
@Stefan,

Most of the chargers I use are on the Chargepoint network. The charger shows the current charging status for each car plugged into it and you can tell if the car is still charging or not. You can also program the charger using the app to send you notifications if the car is unplugged or if it is done charging, but that is tied to the card you used to unlock the charger and you can't ask the charger to send you notifications when someone else's car is fully charged.

With Chargepoint chargers, you can certainly unplug the charger from the car, but if you want to immediately plug it into a different car, you have to use the original card used to unlock the charger to turn it off, and then you can use your card to unlock the charger for your own use. This means that if the first car is still charging, just unplugging it and replugging it into another car is not going to result in the second car getting charged. I suspect that this is what happened to @hansu1. The rude Leaf driver unplugged the cable, but could not activate it because he/she did not have @hansu1's card to shut it off.

The other option is to unplug the car, and then wait a certain amount of time for the charger to reset. I am not sure what that time interval is, but if you are a rude Leaf driver, you are not going to stand around the crime scene with an EV cable waiting for the charger to reset.

Either way, it's really rude to do this without the first car's permission. Some EV drivers have an "OK to Unplug" sign that they put on the charger handle to signal the other EV drivers to unplug if needed. I generally try to be considerate of BEV drivers (Leaf, Fiat 500e, etc.) because I can always make it home regardless of my battery charger, but they would be genuinely stuck if they run out of electrons, but am less sympathetic to Tesla drivers because of the enormous battery capacity of the Teslas, and certainly don't condone someone unplugging my car without my permission.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Old 02-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Chargepoint is the most common here in the north bay, hence my excitement when I got my card. I tried to activate via the Mobile app using NFC (never worked).

The Chargepoint stations are mostly free (sponsored by cities or businesses).

When you signup and install the app you can opt-in on wide range of notifications.

Just to make clear, I do not harm other folks property and hope to be treated with the same sort of respect.... unless you drive a Prius (but these people usually take care of themselves). #darwinawards

-Hans

2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tri-Tone Interior #0888
hansu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansu1 View Post
Chargepoint is the most common here in the north bay, hence my excitement when I got my card. I tried to activate via the Mobile app using NFC (never worked).
I have used the app to unlock chargers and it does not look the NFC function (it worked just fine with my pre-NFC Iphone 5s, for example). The unlock command is sent remotely from Chargepoint via their network, not from the phone itself. You can even call the 800 number, and once they authenticate your membership, they can unlock the charger remotely.

Of course, it is always easier to use the RFID card. The app is just a backup.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansu1 View Post
or, there are still some Samaritans walking among us?

So I took my kids out today to give my wife a break. I took them for lunch to
Sonoma. Now that I got FINALLY my charge-point card I was exited to get the Karma charged while we had lunch at one of our fav italian.

Halfway through my Tortellini alla Pana I get a text from Charge-Point stating
I used 2.2 Kwh and that the car was unplugged. I was wondering why someone unplugged my Karma.

So we finished lunch, got a double-espresso to go and strolled back to the parking lot to find the scene described bellow.

A Nissan Leaf right next to me so close that I checked for impact or dents.
The Nissan blocked a handicap spot as well. I guess while you piss off a peer why not a handicapped person while at it.

Both cars unplugged....hmmmm

All mirrors on the Leaf "re-adjusted". The Charging hatch at the front wide open. The rear-windshield wipers... rearranged. And a note under the driver wiper saying something along the line:

"Don't you ever again dare unplugging another car while it's charging.
You Effing IDIOT!!!!"

You can't make this up!

My Car unharmed. Karma =1, Leaf =0

I figured, someone was watching the actions of the Leaf driver and decided
to stand up for the Karma.

Also Fabulist, I concur with one of your statements. Driving a Karma (I drive mine every day) makes you an Ambassador and kind of a Hero.

Just today, we had about 5 encounters of people telling us how beautiful the car is. Twice we got approached today by people telling me how exited they are to see one in real life. My 5y/o first words are always "it's ELECTRIC". Photos, letting people have a seat, answering questions. Every time they leave with a smile on their face.

GOOD KARMA.

Disclaimer, mine runs like a Swiss watch compared to my previous cars.
On the idea of being a courteous driver (why not), I find that this choice comes naturally behind the wheel of a Karma. I am the only owner in the Niagara area of Canada and take this responsibility seriously and with pleasure.
fiskerjim is offline   Reply With Quote