CIU Issue. Help! - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Default CIU Issue. Help!

I recently tried to start my Karma and I got a flashing "Ready" signal however I could not put the car into Drive. After playing around with it for awhile, including engaging the parking brake as instructed, somehow the car got stuck in Neutral. I let it rest overnight and in the morning called a tow company to get a jump and, while the 12V battery was connected to the portable jumping device, I was able to get the car back into Park but the "Ready" signal started flashing again and I was still not able to put the car into Drive. I then had my Karma towed to the former Fisker dealership and am now being told the CIU is shot and that the cost for parts and labor to replace is $3800. Frankly, I am not sure how well trained the mechanics are because they no longer sell Fiskers but claim to have a mechanic that is familiar with the cars.

Before I flip the bill for this expense, I was wondering if any of you that know much more about the Karma than I do, have any suggestions or work arounds. Much appreciated.

PS: All of this started immediately after I turned the car on and then accidentally turned it off before it had fully powered up. Not sure if this is relevant.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)

The CIU has nothing to do with "blinking ready" if there is an issue there it is unrelated to the car not being able to go into drive.

In "blinking ready" mode the only two gear positions allowed are Neutral and Park.

Are you on 53x? Could be several issues. If you can, please ask your repair shop for the error codes and post them here.
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 214 Post(s)

ciu can NOT cause the car to flash ready. you can disconnect it and car will run fine. Who is working on the car, my guess is there is a contactor fault in the battery which can be reset with a simple 12v reset.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Garage

I agree, they have no clue or just want your money. I always do a hard reset before I start calling tow trucks. I bet it's the 535 fault cured by a hard reset.

Have a look my thread from Xmas and see if it is the same cbermudez8
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ira

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbermudez8 View Post

PS: All of this started immediately after I turned the car on and then accidentally turned it off before it had fully powered up. Not sure if this is relevant.
Same thing happened to me. (Only difference was that I also had the fuel door unlatched, which is why I interrupted the power on cycle when I went out to close it.)

Left the car sit for awhile and the soft reset fixed it.

P.S. Can you say which former dealership told you the CIU was bad?
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I called the dealership and was told that they did a 530 and then a 535 update the last time I took my car in (about 2 months ago). I also asked for the error codes but am still waiting to hear back. I will post them as soon as I receive them.

In the meantime, can someone clarify the difference between a hard reset, soft reset, and 12V reset? All of these terms are used in the responses I received to my original post.

Ira, if you want to email me at cbermudez8@yahoo.com I will answer the question about the name of the dealership. I rather not smear anyone publicly unless/until I am sure something nefarious is occurring.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Quoted: 195 Post(s)

pretty certain 53x is causing it... do a hard reset (pull 12v on passenger side fender- black connector cable see this post). Would direct your CSP to downgrade you to 520, that will likely solve your problem.

I am curious as to why your CSP thinks the CIU is causing the issue. There could be something wrong with it but the tell-tales would be different (distorted audio, garbled display etc) and unrelated to your vehicle not being able to drive.

There is an off-chance it could be something else, but the above is likely the solution to your blinking ready light. Karma should pick up the bill for software flashes, so it essentially should cost you nothing to fix the problem (save a dealer-imposed "diagnostic" fee).
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbermudez8 View Post

In the meantime, can someone clarify the difference between a hard reset, soft reset, and 12V reset? All of these terms are used in the responses I received to my original post.
Hard Reset and 12V reset, and pulling 12 are the same thing. They involve disconnecting the 12V battery's ground connection on the passenger side of the engine, and waiting some period of time before reconnecting it. This is analogous to pulling out a computer's plug out of the wall and then plugging it back in a few minutes later.

A soft reset means turning the car off and waiting for the gear selector light to go off (and mirrors to fold if you have that setting enabled). Depending on your software version, this could take 45 seconds or 2 minutes. This is analogous to pressing Carl-Alt-Del on a computer running windows.

A soft reset resolves certain problems and it should be tried first because it preserves error codes and other data that can be read using Fisker's diagnostic systems. A hard reset is usually the last resort and it can wipe out a lot of diagnostic information. It also requires re-caliberating the parking brake, which the soft reset does not.

Hope this helps.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fisker Miami

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)

Craziest diagnosis I've seen yo date
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I spoke to my Fisker mechanic and asked him to put in writing their diagnosis of what is wrong with my Karma. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Here is his explanation:

"You have a water leak from the cowl seal causing the ciu to short out therefore causing a battery drain intermittently. When the tech disconnected the ciu to check he noticed it wet. Upon disconnect the drain went away. The solution for repair is to replace the damaged(wet) CIU. Cost approx. $3800. Option # 2 is to seal the water leak and clean the CIU with electrical cleaner-(much cheaper option however no guarantee on how long the CIU will perform. Cost for option # 2 $1300. Please contact me with or questions or concerns. Thanks"