It's REALLY hard to get a Karma repaired - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default It's REALLY hard to get a Karma repaired

Hopefully, I will be one of the only people having to do this, but my Karma was in an accident about a month ago. (And yes, I was thought about killing the person that hit me, except that they took off.)

I expected it to be a lengthy repair process, but this has been much worse than I anticipated. There was damage to the front passenger portion of the vehicle, including the ICE radiator and everything forward (crumple zone components, headlight washer, headlight, and fender/body damage, including the styrofoam thing).

Getting parts from Fisker to repair the vehicle is proving to be VERY difficult. At first, my dealer (Fisker of Scottsdale) and their shop had a very hard time ordering the parts needed for the repair. Fisker was not able to provide prices for most of the parts needed, and no ship date for any of the parts. 31 days later, we just received some of the exterior parts, but none of the internal components. They (Fisker corporate parts) told us that they are having problems with some of the parts suppliers and have suspended production of the Karma completely! My suspicion is that is due to the battery supplier issue. However, they wouldn't tell us if the parts we need are involved in the "parts supply issue".

So at this point, we have no idea when we will be able repair my Karma.

All in all, rather frustrating. Caveat emptor.

And yes, you read that right: They (Fisker Parts) told us that Karma production has been suspended!
Az Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The story that production was suspended awaiting A123 bankruptcy resolution circulated widely last week -- the CEO said so at LA Auto Show. The A123 bankruptcy auction was today hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Then if the insurance company finishes processing those 330 Sandy claims and releases them to salvage, you can get your parts the old fashioned way, junkyard dog!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

So it was a hit-and-run?? I would be sooo angry. That's a good point that there should be plenty of salvage parts, assuming Fisker buys those cars back from the insurance agency. The rumor from Finland is that Karma production has been stopped for a while, so I'm not sure the A123 thing is the only issue.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Don't most manufacturers produce parts for replacement? I'm not sure if it works differently due to how the karma is built (sort of built to order), but I figured car makers had to stockpile replacement parts?
AnOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I wouldn't say it's build-to-order. Seems to me after the initial vehicles, they built up a stock of cars with a variety of specs and and sent them out to dealers or kept them stored. True they should have kept a stock of parts too which if they didn't is mind-boggling.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

@doug, I think the A123 issue has been going on for a while. Why would you repeat rumors? How about we stick with facts for a while. Rumors and conjectures are not constructive for Fisker or Tesla, right?
Signature Edition Karma #72
Sigurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, basically a hit and run.

I can only hope that they will let us get some parts from somewhere, I have spent a lot of time in junkyards for previous projects. Right now, the only response from Fisker Parts has been that they don't know when or if they can supply us with the parts.

They did say parts suppliers, plural. I asked if that meant they can't get the parts that we need for repairs, but they weren't sure, and repeated that they were having trouble with some of their parts suppliers. They only knew that they don't have parts on hand to ship to us, and don't know when or if they can get them. Basically, it boiled down to "we are working on it, and can't tell you anything else."
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was also quite surprised that they didn't have some inventory of supply parts. It took a month to ship us a couple of replacement body parts. Hopefully, we can get the paint to match, it's a Laguna!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes Doug is soliciting rumors about the Fisker shutdown as part of his moderator job over at Tesla Motors Club. Doug it feels like you're a member of the other team lurking around our locker room, acting superior and probing for weakness
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

If anybody hears where those Sandy cars end up, please let us know. Might be a good source of spare parts for everybody here.