OWNERS ONLY: What is your current overall satisfaction level with your Fisker Karma - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current level of satisfaction with your Fisker Karma
Very Satisfied 56 66.67%
Somewhat Satisfied 19 22.62%
Neutral 3 3.57%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 4 4.76%
Very Dissatisfied 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Default OWNERS ONLY: What is your current overall satisfaction level with your Fisker Karma

Given some recent posts, I thought it would be a good idea to take the pulse of the current owners participating on FiskerBuzz. Please respond to the poll with your overall level of satisfaction with your Fisker Karma as of today.

This poll is only for those of you who already own a Fisker Karma.

Last edited by Fabulist; 11-29-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Requested by OP
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I love my Karma. It's beautiful. It's fun to drive. It's comfortable. It gets gawkers even here in car-jaded Los Angeles. And so far I'm getting 152 MPG--a number that climbs every time I drive the car! I am so glad I bought the car!!!!
Weird Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

well you guys already know my vote

mpg is deceiving because that could just mean you use your Karma to travel to the convenience store around the corner. I think I represent the typical consumer who drives around 20,000km per year and uses the car all year round. I am getting around 25 mpg and have had to fill up 3x since getting the car about a month ago. Of course I get the gawkers because there are only 23 of them in Ontario as far as I know but I didn't buy the car to be admired from, I bought it because I believe in the concept of extended range vehicles.

A good poll would be, how much of the total mileage capacity of one charge/fill up be attributed to electric power from a battery to call yourself an EV extended range car? On one extreme, would it be fair to say that you're an electric car if you can just go 1km on battery stored electricity and 499km on gas? I'm not saying that's the Karma but in reality (yes that's realistic driving) I am seeing from people posting that they are getting around 50km on a total range of 480km so that's around 10%... to me that wouldn't or shouldn't qualify as saying you're an EV extended range car. I think a better description is a fuel efficient electric motor run 2L turbo that has some electric range to it. I'd like to see a definition saying that there should be as much battery stored electric power as there is gasoline power... probably too much to ask for now but i have heard estimates that by 2015 we should have batteries capable of taking an average car 250km.
Hockeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydad View Post
I am getting around 25 mpg and have had to fill up 3x since getting the car about a month ago..... I think a better description is a fuel efficient electric motor run 2L turbo that has some electric range to it.
Interesting, since I have had my car for 11 months and have also filled it up just 4 times. And I have gone almost 4000 miles. You see, I drive about 35 miles a day when I do drive, and I plug it in every night. My MPG is an irrelevant number (something like 100 MPG). The point is better made that when I drive 35 miles, then plug it in, it costs me about $2.50 to go that 35 miles (at $0.15/kwh electricity costs). With gas around $4.50/gallon, my fuel cost per mile driven on electric is not quite half, so my "cost equivalent" MPG is more like 65 MPG. I have been on longer trips, and when I go to gasoline mode, I don't expect 45 mpg. This isn't a small econo car.

Clearly, the way you describe the car (a gas engine with some electric range added) is EXACTLY the way you use it. You say you drive 20000 km/year, meaning 1666 km a month, or about 1000 miles per month. If you have filled it up 3 times in your one month, as you say, then you have used probably 27 gallons of gasoline (the Karma's tank only holds 9.5 gallons of gasoline). That would suggest 1000/27 = 37 MPG. But you say 25 MPG so it must be that you drove less than that 1000 miles on your 3 tanks of gas. In any case... let's say 25 MPG. My wife's Lexus LS460 gets about 18 MPG, so you are still doing ok relative to large 4-door sedans. Not that MPG in that range would be a reason to specifically buy a car. But it wouldn't be a reason to DIS-like a car either.

More importantly, your driving results suggest to me that you have almost NEVER plugged it in. If you drive 1000 miles a month, as you say, and if you had plugged it in each night at your home, you would get 35 miles or so of range each day. Multiplied by 20 work days you should get at least 600-700 miles of gasoline-free driving...with the other 300 miles on gasoline (at 25 MPG, you would only then have used 10 gallons). If you NEVER plug in an electric car that is designed to run on electricity as it's MAIN fuel source, then of course you will be disappointed in the outcome. Then you are driving around a 5000 lb car whose extra 1000 lbs in batteries and generators aren't doing you any good. Nobody ever said this car would delight you with it's gasoline-only mode. It's designed to be plugged in.

So I don't fully understand your math, but I am challenged and maybe I am missing something? Like maybe a couple very long-range trips you took, or that you take regularly? E.g.: if your 1000 miles a month comes from Five discreet 200-mile trips, you only get to plug it 5 times, and you get 175 gas-free EV miles. The other 825 miles come in gas mode. But if someone else's 1000 miles comes in increments of 20 discreet trips of 50 miles, the result is very different, or in 30 trips of 33 miles, again very different. MPG can range from 23 MPG (never plug it in) to infinite.

In PHEVS, more so that in ANY TIME IN THE HISTORY OF THE AUTOMOBILE: your mileage will vary.

Oh, and you all know my answer to the poll: This is one of my favorite cars ever owned. I absolutely love it.
2012 Fisker Karma Signature Series #7
2006 Fisker Latigo CS #001

Dave_Car_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hockeydad,

In a few weeks I will have my Karma 1 year and will have driven ~ 11,000 miles or 18,000 km. I will have filled it up a total of 4 times. I drive it every day to and from work, round trip ~ 60 miles or 97 km. Almost all of it is freeway miles at 75 mph+.

I've also taken it on 200 mile golf outings many times. That's when I'm glad I have the extended range available. It is my daily driver, not a grocery getter.

Do you drive in sport mode most of the time?

I'm not trying to insult you but did the dealer spend much time with you explaining how stealth and sport mode works? This could make a big difference in your mileage.
Owner Karma #49 SE,
2013 Chevy Volt
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Last edited by ejo3rd; 11-30-2012 at 12:38 AM.
ejo3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Dave_Car_Guy's number notes are, indeed, very interesting.

My "lifetime" (3 month) mileage on my Laguna Karma is a bit over 40 mpg, as my driving is mostly short local trips (2 to 20 miles) with occasional very-long trips (several of 140 miles, one of about 640 miles, for instance). The long trips have few if any plug-in opportunities and have contributed nearly half of my ~2000 miles of driving in 3 months.

Since the EV mileage is as close to infinite as one might want, and the gasoline mileage tends to be barely over 20 mpg (Karma reported 24 mpg on the >600-mile trip but measured by fill-ups it was under 22 mpg), the average of "a little over half electric, a little under half gas" is, unsurprisingly, a bit over 40 mpg.

I consider 40 mpg pretty darn good, given what kind of car I'm driving to get that!
ct-fiskerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Default Are you sure you are driving a Fisker Karma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydad View Post
well you guys already know my vote

mpg is deceiving because that could just mean you use your Karma to travel to the convenience store around the corner. I think I represent the typical consumer who drives around 20,000km per year and uses the car all year round. I am getting around 25 mpg and have had to fill up 3x since getting the car about a month ago.
@Hockeydad, I am starting to doubt that you even own a Karma. You know my drive profile: Just under 90 miles a day with 2 x full electric charges, and I am getting around 135 MPG. This is not going around the corner for groceries. I have logged over 11000 miles since Feb. 1, and most of the drive is at highway speeds of over 65 MPH. Even before my office installed the 220V chargers and I had to charge using 110V at work, I was averaging close to 80 MPG. Unless you are driving in Sport mode and uphill the entire time with your trunk full of steel bowling balls with the A/C on full blast the 25 MPG figure is completely inconsistent with my experience. Not really sure what to tell you.

And yes, I love my Karma, in case there was any doubt.

Owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. Ordered: May 2008, Delivered: Jan 2012 by Marin Luxury Cars

Last edited by Fabulist; 11-30-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

My experience will soon be like most here -- commuting 50 miles round trip hopefully with charging both at home and at work so very little gas usage. But at the moment Apple only has about 15 charging stations to service 10-15 thousand employees (many more are supposedly imminent). My new garage is not yet in as advanced finish construction state as Dave_Car_Guy's, and the garage wiring in the old house I'm renting is old tattered extension cords I'm afraid to charge from.

So for another month at least I'm just operating the Karma in gas mode all the time and according to the dash getting 25mpg. Already done 2000 miles this way.

But guess what that's still 6mpg better than my DB9, plus if I'd bought a Tesla Model S instead I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE IT AT ALL RIGHT NOW EVEN IF I LOVED DRIVING IT AS MUCH AS THE KARMA. This is just one example of the flexibility and practicality of the Karma compared to pure EV. The pure EV are great for the dedicated, but with the Karma I don't have to plan my life around charging stations that may not be available. People at Apple with EVs have to constantly troll the parking lot waiting to see if someone else is done charging and broadcast emails asking people to move cars from the chargers just so they can get home. And this is in the middle of Silicon Valley I can't imagine how hopeless charging must be in the rest of the country!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
@Hockeydad, I am starting to doubt that you even own a Karma. You know my drive profile: Just under 90 miles a day with 2 x full electric charges, and I am getting around 135 MPG. This is not going around the corner for groceries. I have logged over 11000 miles since Feb. 1, and most of the drive is at highway speeds of over 65 MPH. Even before my office installed the 220V chargers and I had to charge using 110V at work, I was averaging close to 80 MPG. Unless you are driving in Sport mode and uphill the entire time with your trunk full of steel bowling balls with the A/C on full blast the 25 MPG figure is completely inconsistent with my experience. Not really sure what to tell you.

And yes, I love my Karma, in case there was any doubt.
FAB, This is exactly the thought that I had.....
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hockeydad,

Are you able to just give your over all satisfaction? Let's say from 1-10, where one is poor and ten is wow,wow,wow???

Dennis, wasn't that your intention?

Stefan
Owner of a 2012 Ecosport Shadow, Black Sand Monotone, #730
German Community http://www.karma-forum.de/
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote